SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, August 1, 2014

Protection Magic

Protection Magic

For this Pagan Blog Project post, I would like to talk briefly about protection magic. Protection spells are intended to prevent, protect, and repel danger, evil, and negativity. Many witches are confused by protection magic, thinking it foolproof. Let's be very clear: there is NO magical spell that works exactly like an armed response guard. Magical protection spells provide magical protection and their aura enhances other protective methods. If you are afraid of someone robbing you, a protection spell will enhance other methods you use, not replace them, and it doesn't matter how many spells you cast or the number of amulets you post if you don't lock your doors. Use common sense.

That being said, there are many forms of danger lurking out there. Locking your door will only protect you from physical threats while magical spells can protect you from malicious spells, hexes, negative enchantments, and other assorted dangers from a vast variety of magical and spiritual sources. However, just because these dangers derive from a magical source does not mean they cannot manifest in a very physical way. This can be in the form of illness, accidents, and general disasters.

There are thousands of protection spells out there. I posted recently about my threshold protection spell and my home protection ward. Both of these are magical ways I use to not only physically defend my home but also to magically defend it. I have mentioned before my husband is a funeral director. Sometimes things follow him, and I do not want them in my home. Marietta, at Witchy Words, also has a great DIY protection sachet post. I want to focus on some of the basics today.

As with all spells, numbers, colors, and gemstones can be used to enhance their power. Five is the most common number associated with protection spells as it's the number of fingers on each hand. Seven and nine are also used. For colors, you can use red, black, and blue. Amethyst, agate, and quartz are most commonly used for protection, although their auras are all very different so use what feels right.

As a hedgewitch, I find working with herbs to be the most rewarding. The Anglo-Saxons recorded nine herbs as sacred. These herbs appear in a poem, commonly referred to as the Nine Herbs Charm or Nine Wort Charm, found in a 10th- or 11th-century manuscript called Lacnunga. It recounts the story of Woden and how he obtained the sacred herbs of old to defeat a serpent. The poem not only names the herbs but lists their uses as well. The herbs mentioned are:
  1. Mugwort
  2. Plantain
  3. Lamb's Cress
  4. Nettle
  5. Chamomile
  6. Crab Apple
  7. Chervil (some say Thyme)
  8. Fennel
You may notice there are only eight listed. This is because the identity of the ninth herb, atterlothe, which translates to "Venom Loather," remains unknown. Some sources believe the ninth herb is cockspur grass, while others believe it may be betony or fumitory. You can use only these eight in honor of all the botanical species driven to extinction or you can use betony, which is most commonly believed to be atterlothe. Betony is basically a cure-all, so substituting it will not alter the effectiveness.

Protection MagicApart from using these herbs, you can also use "Witch Soldiers" to protect your home. In order to have access to a wide variety of botanical magic, witches historically had very extensive gardens. However, because they were also commonly midwives and healers, many of these plants had dual purposes. By the Middle Ages and the Burning Times, however, a garden was a necessity as a means of protection. They designed their gardens to keep persecutors out and protect those within. The classical European witch's garden was surrounded by three rows of scarlet flowers, known as "witch's soldiers." These served as the front-line of protection against witch hunters. Today, you can use your soldiers to protect you from harm in general. This is on my list of to-dos for my garden next year. I suggest planting them around your mailbox or in planters on the edge of your property. Completely surrounding your property is not necessary, nor doable in most situations.

I hope this has been enlightening. Do you use protection magic? What kinds do you prefer?

2 comments :

  1. Hi! I thought I'd drop a comment even though the post is a few years old! I'm currently reading through your blog, starting at the first post, and I'm really enjoying myself. I especially liked the Nine Herb Charm as I grow herbs myself and I'd never heard of it before! The plantain you wrote about, is it Plantago major? (My first language isn't English and) I'd only ever heard of plantain bananas before so I was a bit skeptic at first... haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are enjoying my blog! The Nine Herb Charm is an old folklore protection charm from Europe. I love old spells! And you are correct. The plantain I mention is broadleaf plantain or Plantago major, not the banana although they are so good fried up in honey! Haha! Thank you for reading and the best of luck on your journey.

      Delete

This witch loves to hear from her readers, so please share your thoughts below!